Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pokemon X and Y

Hi guys! Christian here, and I am avoiding doing real work, so I'm writing a blog post. As of this blog post, I have only beaten the 4th gym leader in Pokemon Y, and I just wanted to share some of my thoughts about this game, thus far. PS, probably spoilers ahead.





The Beginning

I'll get to the start of the story of the game in a second, but first I want to point out the camera angles, and general way to travel through the game, it feels really smooth. you are not restricted to your 4 cardinal directions, unless you strictly use the D pad for the whole game. The camera view is also not a birds eye view, you often get a 3rd person view from behind your character, or some other slightly angled view.

Why is this a big deal?

I think it is, its the first game that did this. It makes the game feel clean, you can actually imagine this world existing. There aren't obvious pixels, and lines drawn on how the game looks like a game, but instead a world in which your character has been placed in.


Now to the actual game, after you get your starter and start progressing through the game, you very quickly run into a shit load of Pokemon.

Not all Zubats, but you get the idea
I originally planned on doing a Nuzlocke, would have been a unique experience, and was doing well, I actually got a Fletchling, and Pansage as my first two catches, but then I kept running into more and more Pokemon, I am going to attempt to list all of the ones I can remember, from the starter town, to defeating the first gym (for you drafters, this would be the stater list): Fletchling, Pidgey, Weedle, Caterpie, Scatterbug, Pansage, Panpour, Pansear, Pikachu, Dunsparce, Azmurile, Farfetch'd, Riolu, Psyduck, Bidoof, Bunelby, Litleo, and your starter. I went into the gym with a 6 person team, why? BECAUSE I COULD! I am not the only one that has this overwhelming feeling I know, this is the fist Pokemon game, that I have had to debate on who I wanted to take with me, I am currently raising about 10 Pokemon. 

The battles

The battle animations are amazing, if you are one of those people who can't look at the 3-D screen because it gives you a head ache, you need to at least check out one battle with it on, it would be worth it. The status effects actually effect your Pokemon. If your asleep, your eyes will be closed, and will even have a different fainting animation for some.

 I'll throw mega-evolution in here too, it's a neat idea, only problem I have with it is I wish it would have some draw back, aside from not being able to hold other items. I was talking to Anthony about it, and he said that he knew his Venasaur could take out whatever wild Pokemon he was fighting without Mega Evolving, but he did it anyways. I feel like that should not be it's purpose. It should be a thing like "Oh shit, I'm on my last guy, and my rival wants to have a battle at the end of traveling through Rock Tunnel, it's go time!" All the mega evolution's I have seen (which is not many, I want to play the game as a surprise) look really cool, and they did a good job on it, but it feels so much like another evolution, that I can't help but wonder why they didn't just do another evolution. They have done worst things, like give Electabuzz a pre-evolution, and evolution. It's not like everyone would get upset if they gave us more Pokemon to love. That's my 2 cents, I would love to hear some of your comments on this too.

Horde battles, I love them. I wish they were worth the experience, and time, but unless you have a move that hits all of them, its more of a pain then it is worth. For example, I ran into a horde of Zubats, they were all faster then I was, and 2 of them used supersonic, 1 used leech life, and two used astonish. Needless to say, I ran, with them constantly keeping me confused, and a higher then normal chance to flinch, was not going to end well. It gives you a lot of options for catch though, you can see a lot of their abilities, like scraggy could have moxie or shed skin, just might need to sacrifice someone to figure out who has moxie.

The story

I haven't had any problems with the story thus far, you get sent on a quest to find more information about mega evolution's after getting your Kanto starter, and the stone that it needs to hold. Every town you get to says "I don't know much, but you can ask _____ at the next town." Team Flare is pretty neat too, they are interesting, funny, and stylish! I am really happy with the quality this game has, and I expect it to finish with how good it started.





I would really appreciate any and all comments, and let me know what you guys think of this game.



No comments: